Come get some pancakes!



 

You’re invited to an Applebee’s® Flapjack Fundraiser Breakfast to support Hancock & Jefferson Fire Companies.

$9.00 per person
Children (ages 4-10) – $6.00
Children (3 or younger) – FREE

WHEN: Saturday, November 22, 2014
8:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.

WHERE: Applebee’s Neighborhood Grill & Bar
555 South Trooper Rd
Norristown, PA 19403

We will also be accepting new, unwrapped toys during the breakfast for the fire company holiday toy drive.

For More Information:

Joe Coogan, Jefferson Fire Co – 610-539-3990

Valid only at participating restaurant listed above. Ticket valid for pancake event only.
Applebee’s menu items are not included as part of purchase.

Jovie’s Journey – Fundraiser for a Little Girl in Need



jovie

Click Here for the Full Jovies Journey Poster

Join us for this fundraising event on Saturday, October 18th from 6pm to 10pm.

The event will be held in our back hall.  Tickets are available in advance for $25 each.

You can call the fire company (610-539-3990) for information on tickets.

You can also send an email to joviesjourney@gmail.com

Can’t attend the event, but you still want to help?  Visit the “Go Fund Me” page for Jovie.

What is Jovie’s Journey?  Here is information from the Facebook page:

About

Jovie is a little girl who was born hearing impaired. She will be receiving cochlear implants in August 2014.
Mission

1. Our First and Foremost Goal will Always be to Provide Jovie with the Education and Tools she Needs to Succeed!! 2. To Provide Grants and Scholarships for other Hearing Impaired Children and Programs 3. Education and Advocacy for other Families of Hearing Impaired Children throughout the state, with our main focus on Montgomery County

Description
When your child is born you check that they have 10 fingers and 10 toes, you check their eye and hair color, you try to figure out who they look like more…it never crosses your mind that your child may not be able to hear you Jovie was born in June 2011. Shortly after she was born she was given the newborn screening that is required by PA. She did not pass the hearing portion. Many many emotions… run through your head when you hear this. But we were assured that it was perfectly normal and in the 12 years the pediatrician has been doing the screening that not one baby who failed in the hospital actually had a hearing loss. Awesome. We went about our life as first time parents. Until we went to see the local ENT. She failed the screening again. And again. And again. by the time she was 10 weeks old we realized we had a problem and sought out Dupont’s audiology department to help us get answers. At 3 months Jovie was sedated and had an ABR. She was diagnosed with a mild to moderate hearing loss and we were told she would have to wear hearing aides. All at once our hopes and dreams came crashing down around us. What would her future be like? Luckily we came upon the Clarke School for Hearing and Speech in Bryn Mawr, Pa. And they have been a Godsend. Jovie was aided bilaterally the day before she turned 6mos. We have been provided services through Clarke during our entire journey, and Jovie has done nothing but thrive. Unfortunately about a year or so after her original diagnosis we started to get more info on the cause of her hearing loss. First we had an MRI and it determined that Jovie had some inner ear deformities including Enlarged Vestibular Aqueduct Syndrome (EVAs) and Large Endolymphatic Sac Anomalies (LESA) which is usually genetic. We did genetic testing and found that  Jovie has Pendred Syndrome, which affects hearing, balance and the thyroid. Luckily, so far, the only affect from her syndrome is the hearing loss, which, unfortunately is progressive. She has been monitored extremely closely ever since. In September of 2013 we began noticing some changes in Jovie and contacted our audiologist. 2 tests and an ABR later we found that Jovie had had a fairly significant drop in her hearing. We were now holding at Moderately severe to severe hearing loss. 5 months later another major loss occurred placing her in the severe to profound range. Essentially she is deaf. She doesn’t hear much though her aides are helping as much as they can. In April 2014 we began the process of getting Jovie approved for cochlear implants. A device surgically implanted into the ear and head that will help her hear. In the midst of all of this Montgomery County wants to take Clarke School away from her at the time she most needs their help and guidance. We are fighting to keep her where WE know she NEEDS to be.

2014 Easter Flower Sale and Township Easter Egg Hunt



Please stop by during the day and evening April 18-20 for your Easter flowers and Bergin’s chocolates.  Also, don’t forget that the 2014 West Norriton Twp Easter Egg Hunt will be next door on April 19th!

The times for the egg hunt will be staggered this year according to age:

3 years old and under: 10:00 a.m.
4-6 years old: 10:15 a.m.
7-9 years old: 10:30 a.m.

Additional info can be found on the West Norriton Twp website:  http://www.westnorritontwp.org/index.aspx?NID=142

Reminder, please clear the snow from fire hydrants



459609_orig

Winter/Holiday Fire Safety



 

We would like to remind everyone to be safe this holiday season. Here are a few tips to help keep you safe.

  • Do not overload your electrical outlets.
  • Be careful with extension cords and don’t pinch them or crush them under things.
  • Keep lit candles a safe distance from decorations and do not leave them burning when you’re not around.
  • Pay attention to whether your light strings are for indoor use, outdoor use, or both and use them appropriately.
  • Use clips, not nails, to hold your lights so you avoid damage to cords from accidental nail punctures.
  • Don’t forget to be safe in the kitchen when preparing your holiday meals.  Don’t leave food unattended on the stove.
  • If you have a real tree, make sure you keep it watered.

 

NFPA quick facts:

  • Two of every five home decoration fires are started by candles.
  • Nearly half of  holiday decoration fires happen because decorations are placed too close to a heat source.

To see more fire safety information from the NFPA, click the graphic below.